Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Savory Comfort Food: Pulled Pork

The best savory comfort food I know of is Pulled Pork.  Even better, it's easy, easy, easy in the slow cooker. You don't even have to sear the meat (score!) Once upon a time my pulled pork was basically a dessert. In the last couple of years I've learned to make it with only a hint of sweetness and it is still delicious.

Ingredients:
2-3 pounds bone in pork butt or pork shoulder (these are the same thing)
1/2 cup water
3 Tablespoons Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1 rounded Tablespoon (preferably raw and locally sourced) honey
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika

Here's the easy part
Put the water, vinegar, and honey in the slow cooker, then add the pork roast. Add all the spices in a little ramekin or bowl and mix it all up. Pour the spices over the top of the roast. Cover and set the slow cooker to low. Ideally you will cook this for 10 to 12 hours. You can get away with 8 hours, though it will not be as tender.

Of course you can cook a larger roast and adjust the spices accordingly. I've doubled and even tripled this recipe at times. Most of the time I am only cooking for one or two so I go small. Even with two pounds we end up with some leftovers. My dear hubby even likes this recipe. Although, being on a different path than I, he tends to add both sugar and ketchup to his bowl... sigh. At least we can share the meal though.

I like to serve it with some kind of non-starchy vegetable on the side. Surprisingly I don't really love it with salad though. Surprising, because I eat salad with most anything. This evening I went with diced summer squash with a hint of red bell pepper and the green part of scallions cooked in bone broth.

Save the bone(s) and you can use them to make bone broth later. I put them in the freezer until there is enough to make broth. Later you can use the broth to enhance another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment